Ahead of this year’s Autumn Statement, Bus Users has supported Campaign for Better Transport’s call for a long-term funding commitment for the UK’s bus services.
Bus Users is one of 11 leading organisations representing active and sustainable travel, the environment, equality and rural communities to sign the letter to Chancellor Jeremy Hunt MP.
The letter asks for urgent assurances for support including:
- The protection of spending commitments already in place on local buses and trams for this spending period
- A short-term funding guarantee to ensure no further network reductions until reformed funding arrangements are in place
- Targeted funding for local transport authorities which lost out in the allocation of Bus Service Improvement Plans funding
- And accelerated reform of funding arrangements for local buses and trams in England outside London featuring:
– A single pot of capital and revenue ringfenced for local buses, light rail and trams
– Enhanced revenue funding to boost services across urban and rural areas and capable of meeting the National Bus Strategy aspirations
– Long-term settlements for all Local Transport Authorities conditional on achieving a coherent set of objectives
See full coverage of the letter in The Guardian
Read the letter in fullÂ Joint letter to the Chancellor